Saturday, March 23, 2013

The good old CHKDSK saved me

Installing S7 Simatic V55 sp3  from my external HD ended in a crash.
Installing Simatic software is a.p.i.t.a.  
It takes hours and often ends premature with cryptic  error messages

Like:
 you have no sufficient rights to access
 ... the program you are just installing as administrator!..
Or   invalid drive E: while you are installing from DVD drive F:  ...

Since installing from DVD station F:   was terminated with error msg no access drive E:  
I thought to be smart and copied the install program to my USB drive 1T ADATA   as drive E:
This time the drive E: access error did not appear 
The install stopped in a crash anyway
I was not surprised  it is a Siematic install..
After that my USB HD was damaged  no access possible
Win Explorer freezes when trying to open ADATA CH94 (E:)
that was now renamed to E: only

the message:  drive E: has to be reformatted to use it..

That would mean complete data loss   350 GB   of  931GB
ooops


Googeling  I hit on using chkdsk /f e:    in the commandbox
 it must be done in the execute box above.   I did not work for me to open  a dos cmd box and give the same chkdsk /f e:   command line command.
 then an error msg about having no rights to execute this command  typical  windows  stops you..




 
Eureka ! even when W-Explorer is unable to see the USB drive E:  
chkdsk /f e: started working 
After 1 hour  my 1 Tbyte drive was back alive without loosing data.
that's better..







I must  say  next time  I tried this  I got the message that  my rights So try  chkdsk /f  {drive:}  first  before starting the destructive solutions that are recommended to you.
Even the ADATA site only  recommends their repair tool  that implies complete loss of data.   
The good old DOS command chkdisk does it free of charge  and can save your data.

No news about DX we have lost all propagation here.
DX peditions are only worked in the  easy parts in S-E Europe.
Roaring wind around the house  freezing cold. Crazy weather.
Flowers and birds having  very touch time again.
Some species  disappeared from the new arctic area we are living in.On the other front our government is making life  as unpleasant as possible 











No comments:

Translate